Collaborations, suppliers, manufacture, information, projects for students
About me / About business or organisation:
Davina Hawthorne graduated from Central St Martins in 2002 with a MA in design for textile futures her work resulted in a patent for flat packed clothing. The idea that the design could be peeled open and worn in many different ways by different body shapes & sizes.
The same year Davina was awarded the Clerkenwell Green Award to set up her own design studio in Clerkenwell, London. Since setting up her own practice she has created one off / made to measure womenswear for various clients and has been commissioned for various projects. Her specialism is fashion & textile design incorporating recycled, hand – made detailing with a no wastage ethos. Davina was one of the first designers to be invited & sponsored to show work at ‘Esthetica’ at London Fashion Week a new area set up to showcase sustainable and ethical design.
Davina’s other projects have included designing and creating fashion awards out of old glass bottles to textile prediction books for the UN to promote African textiles.
In 2011 Davina exhibited in Rome where she was invited to showcase her work at ‘The Queen’s Birthday Party - Green is the new black exhibition’ for the British Embassy in Rome at Villa Wolkonsky which then went on to La Rinascente department store & Alta Roma Haute Couture Week.
Her most recent commission was for a TV commercial to promote the new series of Project Runway in Sweden. She was asked to design a dress from a second hand wetsuit, some red silk and a few other bits and pieces.
Davina quotes “ I design because I love the feeling I get from wearing my own designs.. I like to design pieces that are timeless, comfortable, effortless & design clothes that will last. If I can put on an outfit and feel comfortable wearing it, without looking in the mirror, if it feels good on the body then I know it looks good.”
Career history / Company history:
2002 – Present
Set up my own design studio designing & selling fashion & textiles, working freelance on a variety of projects, selling fashion to small independent boutiques & creating bespoke womenswear & accessories.
I have over 16 year’s experience working across many aspects of the fashion industry. Specialism is in textiles & fashion design. I am passionate about fabric, texture, surface design, techniques, materials, colour, research, development & ideas.
• Researching, developing & designing own prints, shape and surface decoration, pattern cutting and fashion design.
• Directing a small team of designers, pattern cutters & machinists. Putting together & presenting, mood boards, colours, sketchbooks, ideas, themes & mood for the coming seasons. Producing 20 – 40 piece collection twice a year selling at London Fashion Week.
• Presenting collections to buyers and press. Direction & styling of fashion shoots for look books, press releases & presentation. Writing press releases, sending out samples for magazines, creating look books, keeping a record of costings, taking down orders and monitoring all orders through to production & delivery.
• Specialising in recycled & re - made fashion products.
• Sourcing & ordering fabrics. Visiting trade fairs & showrooms within the UK such as the Textile Forum, Ethical Fashion Forum & the London Textile Fair.
• Visiting manufacturers regularly making sure all artwork was correct. Checking samples before going into production.
• Specialisation & organisation of fashion parties selling bespoke fashion products within the UK & in Norway as well as through davinahawthorne.com. Parties have been hosted at client’s homes, fashion boutiques & charity events. Responsible for designing & presenting each product to the audience.
2002 – Present
• Invited by Carole Collet, director of the MA Design for Textile Futures course at Central St Martins to be associate lecturer for her course. Since then I have been a regular associate lecturer at the University for the Creative Arts – Farnham, London College of Fashion, Ravensbourne, Winchester & Wimbledon School of Art. Presenting work on practice and expertise as well as running practical workshops which have included, heat press techniques, ultrasonic welding, research, pattern cutting, screen printing, fashion design, CAD, design development and presentation work. Feedback to students & monitor student’s progress. Teaching at MA, BA and Foundation level. Subjects have included textiles for interiors & fashion, womenswear design & fashion promotion. Currently a part - time fashion tutor on the BA Fashion Course at Anglia Ruskin University Cambridge.
• Central St Martins College of Art purchased final MA work for their permanent textile library and was given a patent for my MA work.
• Won the talenthouse competition to dress Veronica Webb on the red carpet which in turn created interest in my work in the US. Was invited by the president of Carolina Herrera, the design team at The Limited & Director of Merchandising of Style Trek to work with them in New York.
• Exhibited work at the British Embassy in Rome at the Queen’s birthday party in Villa Wolonsky group exhibition.
• United Nations commissioned textile samples & colour palettes using African textiles for a trend forecasting book. Its sole purpose was to promote African textiles for the UK Market.
• Commissioned by The Ethical Fashion Forum to design & make recycled fashion awards for the Ethical Fashion Awards held at the Shoreditch Town Hall attended by Vivienne Westwood
• .Awarded a research grant from the Princes Trust. Awarded the Clerkenwell Green Award to set up own studio. Sponsorship for London Fashion Week stand funded by the British Fashion Council and the Ethical Fashion Forum.
Comment Wall (2 comments)
You need to be a member of Ethical Fashion SOURCE Network to add comments!
Hello dear May the blessings of new year and good health and wealth be your poition this year to you in this new year,My name is Nancy i saw your profile atethicalfashionforum.ning.com i will like us to know each other please contact me at (email@example.com)
Good Day, How is everything with you, I picked interest on you after going through your short profile and deemed it necessary to write you immediately. I have something very vital to disclose to you, but I found it difficult to express myself here, since it's a public site.Could you please get back to me on:(firstname.lastname@example.org) for the full details. Have a nice day Thanks God bless.